Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hell's Belles


The other night I was Netflixing and I ended up watching St. Trinian's, an approximate remake of the 1954 film The Belles of St. Trinian's, and don't judge: it may not be a good movie in any of the usual senses of the word, but it is ridiculous, mindless fun, and sometimes that's just what you need after a long day's work.

What you see up there is a screen shot taken a few minutes in, and you will need to click on it to make it readable and see why it caught my eye. It flashed by on the screen, and of course my proofreader's brain caught the typo "attemps", and I thought, "Obviously the producers wouldn't make a mistake like that, and so it must be deliberate." And naturally enough it was. There are two other errors in the part of the letter that we can see, an unnecessary comma after the first word and "you're" substituting for "your", and therefore the filmmakers are indicating to those of us who pay attention that however bad the education may be at St. Trinian's, whatever banker wrote that letter has clearly had an even worse one, and therefore is no match for the headmistress and her students, which of course turns out to be true, or else we wouldn't have a film.

2 Comments:

Blogger joeclark said...

I assume you realize the type is all wrong for any setting other than the late 1990s to present.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger pyramus said...

I assume you realize that the remake was made in 2007.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home